2019 Artist in Residency
40 West Arts 2019 Artist in Residency
(Made possible by support from Metro West Housing Solutions and the Lakewood-W. Colfax BID)
· Submission of Interest Deadline: July 1, 2019
· One-year residency, August 2019 through July 2020 (approximate)
· Rent-free live/work space for duration of residency
ARTIST IN RESIDENCE OVERVIEW
The Artist in Residence program was born in 2014 out of a desire to offer opportunities for artists that also correspond to the 40 West Arts mission of bringing free, beginner-friendly arts workshops to an area underserved by other arts and culture organizations.
The Artist in Residence (AIR) receives a rent-free artist live/work space at Lamar Station Crossing, an award-winning apartment community in the district located on RTD’s W Line. In addition, 40 West Arts provides the artist with access to marketing, promotional and social media support and integration into the 40 West Arts community. In return, the Artist in Residence works in service to the West Colfax community by hosting open studio hours, conducting monthly youth and senior art classes or workshops in the community, submitting artwork to 40 West Gallery exhibitions, and maintaining an active presence at district events, including First Friday opening receptions.
40 West Arts extends its thanks to the Lakewood-West Colfax Business Improvement District and Metro West Housing Solutions, for their ongoing support of this program. Both are Founding Members of 40 West Arts. Metro West Housing Solutions, Lakewood’s local housing authority, provides high quality, safe, affordable, and sustainable housing and services to thousands of people who earn a range of incomes and embody the community's strengths, culture, and diversity. Affordable housing is a critical need in our community, and we are grateful for the opportunity to provide arts activities and experiences through the Artist in Residence program.
ARTIST IN RESIDENCE DETAILS
· This Artist in Residency is open to any individual, age 18 or older. Applicant may be a student and/or have full-time employment but must meet the responsibilities identified herein, estimated to require approximately 10-12 hours per month.
· Artist in Residence will conduct a youth, family-friendly and/or senior arts workshop in the community to average one course per month for a total of 12 courses during the AIR tenure. 40 West Arts staff will work with the AIR to develop workshop themes, logistics and approach. Artist in Residence will be provided materials for the program activities.
· Artist in Residence will host monthly open studio hours to occur at a regular time each month where they can be available and working in their live/work space.
· Artist in Residence will submit artwork to at least four (4) exhibitions at 40 West Gallery. All submission fees are waived during the AIR residency.
· Artist in Residence will volunteer at all First Friday opening receptions and major district events. Attendance at First Friday is mandatory.
· Artist in Residence will volunteer at other events, assist in staffing the 40 West Gallery, and help with additional activities as needed. We expect the AIR to be an active part of the 40 West Arts community. Please only apply if you are able to commit to these responsibilities and are genuinely excited about this piece of the residency.
· Artist in Residence will receive full access to a rent-free live/work space located at Lamar Station Crossing Apartments in the heart of 40 West Arts District and walking distance to the West Line Light Rail station.
· Artist in Residence will benefit from being located in the district and receive additional marketing, promotional and general support in furthering their goals and vision as an artist.
· Submission Deadline: July 1, 2019
· Send a single document with all information requested to email@example.com with the subject heading: 2019 AIR and please include:
o A letter of interest stating why you wish to be considered for the Artist in Residence position, what you’d bring to the position, and what you plan to work on during your Artist in Residence tenure
o Three examples of beginner, kid & family-friendly and senior workshops that you might teach during your tenure
o Your resume
o A sampling of your artist portfolio
o A link to your website, Facebook page and/or Instagram account, if available
The Artist in Residence Live/Work space at Lamar Station Crossing (6150 W. 13th Avenue in Lakewood) is approximately 580 square feet and is along the RTD W Line, a short ½ block walk to the Lamar St. Station. The unit has access from the street through an exterior door facing 13th Avenue as well as a door that provides ingress and egress to the building’s interior hallway. The entire building is a secure facility with access only for those issued an electronic key fob.
2019-2020 Artist in Residency
SUBMISSION FORM COVER PAGE
The first page of your submission form must include the following information, in the following order.
WEBSITE and/or SOCIAL MEDIA LINK(S):
If you are NOT available to begin your Residency on August 1, 2019 what month would you be available to begin?
How did you hear about this call?